Creating Healthier Classrooms
- The Writeboard does not require any chemicals to be cleaned as it does not stain or shadow (proven over eight years in Sydney school classrooms).
- Both teachers and students no longer have to inhale the whiteboard cleaner fumes or touch the chemical ridden surface.
- No more whiteboard cleaner ever needs to be purchased or used.
Create More Energy Efficient Schools
- The Writeboard allows you to print the page once and once only.
- All your teachers worksheets (once the initial print is done) can now last eight years or more.
- This will save massive amounts of paper, toner and ink. Your school's printer will last much longer and repairs on the printer will also be cut down.
- There will be quite a substantial reduction on the schools electricity bill as the printer is hardly being used.
- Your school will not have to recycle any paper that is used in the classroom. One piece of paper will now last eight years or more.
- A permanent work sample can be kept in digital format with a quick photo.
Improve Student Performance
- All of your teachers' worksheets, blackline masters and other learning paraphernalia can be used with our Writeboard.
- The Writeboard is fun to use, so your students are quite happy to redo an exercise over and over again.
- As we all know “practice makes perfect” and with a Writeboard your students can practice to their hearts content without wasting one piece of paper.
- The Writeboard allows all of your students to erase the error straight away without anyone seeing the error. This alone will elevate your students self confidence.
- Because the Writeboard can be easily erased, your student is not stuck with their first attempt and they can keep trying until they get it right. E.g. You have given your student a page of the letter "a" to trace over. They have done quite well, however, three of them are wrong. Instead of your student having those mistakes stuck on a piece of paper in front of them, the Writeboard enables your student to rub out the three that were wrong and correct them without anyone knowing.
- As their teacher you then photograph the perfect page of the letter "a" and keep that as your student's permanent work sample.
- When your students can get 100 out of 100 you will find that they actually enjoy learning.
- The Writeboard templates are bright and colourful, all your students will enjoy using them.
- There are many varieties of the same letter to keep your students engaged and interested. There is also a variety of Site Licences to choose from.
- All the Writeboards® worksheets also work with your students individual tablets and your schools interactive whiteboards. Your students will have access to three mediums as they learn.
- Writeboards® have created worksheets packs in accordance with what teachers, Principals, Occupational Therapists, Special Needs teachers and The Dept. of Education have required and requested.
- Writeboards® use the best fonts in the world for all Australian fonts, we offer a money back guarantee that reflects that.
- The Writeboard can be used with a variety of textures. These include watercolour paint, dry-erase crayons, whiteboard markers and even permanent marker.
- The Writeboard can also be used as a student response board.
- Lastly, but definitely not least, once the Writeboards® System is in place, all the teachers in your school will have more time to spend with their students. No more running off sheets, no more printing, no more photocopying.
- The result of this extra time spent that your teachers can spend with their students has to be an improved student performance.
"The children love the novelty factor the Writeboard brings to their lessons and we all know how much the brain loves a multi-sensory and novel experience.
Oriel McGee, St Josephs School, Rosebery
Saving Money for Schools
- Based on our current statistics the Writeboard is purchased once in eight years.
- We actually know that it is going to be around for many more years to come, however, at this present moment we can only base it on our current stats.
- The Writeboard only requires you to print the page once.
Schools that purchase Writeboards and then implement the Writeboards® System, could totally cut out the use of paper and the related expenses in all of their classrooms in a period of three months or less.
These Savings Include:
- Buying paper.
- Buying ink.
- Buying toner.
- Buying whiteboards.
- Buying whiteboard cleaner.
- Buying laminating sheets.
- Reduced electricity costs.
- Reduced delivery costs.
- Paying for repairs (less wear and tear on the photocopier and printer).
- Buying new printers.
- Less money spent on waste.
- Teachers' time.
Saving The Environment
- Over 90% of schools in Australia currently use disposable and imported whiteboards and related teaching aids.
These products are not designed to last, they are designed as disposable items that are to be purchased year after year (if not sooner).
Everyone knows (including the person that is reading this) that the standard whiteboard is definitely going to stain and shadow, it can easily be scratched, if you happen to write on it with the wrong marker or permanent marker you might as well throw it straight in the bin; and add to that the fact that they are not made to be sturdy so they break.
- Both the manufacturers and the suppliers are over the moon that the whiteboard stains, shadows and breaks as it makes them lots of money year after year.
- The fact that is stains just means they can sell your school a lot more whiteboard cleaner to try and remove those stains and when that will not work anymore they can sell your school a new batch of whiteboards and the cycle continues year after year, decade after decade.
- We do not know these people personally but surely they must have no regard for Australia's environment as they do not care that they are still contributing to the millions of tonnes of whiteboards that have already been thrown into Australia's landfill since 1975 (when whiteboards first become popular with the dry-erase pen).
The simple fact is that the use of the whiteboard and related teaching aides is helping to DESTROY our environment!
- These people will continue to supply schools year after year with these defective products that are destined for landfill and continue to help destroy our environment until someone finally says NO MORE!
Writeboards® find the most amazing part of all of this is...
- School's willingly purchase whiteboards and whiteboard cleaner year after year. They do even not question the fact that they are buying defective products that will need to be replaced.
- They do not question the fact that those whiteboards are going to end up in landfill and that they are bad for the environment and they do not even question how many tens of thousands of tonnes their school has already put into our landfill since 1975.
Is Recycling The Solution?
Everyone is talking about recycling and saving our planet at the moment, however, no one ever talks about what resources are used to recycle. Twenty dead trees give us one tonne of paper which is only 200,000 pieces of paper.
- For a school that has five hundred students...200,000 pieces of paper would give each individual student four hundred pieces of paper to use each year.
- That sounds like that would be more than enough, however, when you base it of a forty week school year, that gives your students only ten pieces of paper to use each week...which then converts to only two pages per day, per student.
The cost to our environment to recycle just 200,000 pieces of paper (two pieces per day per student):
One Year Period:
- Over 90,000 litres of water.
- 1.2 tonnes of coal.
- A range of chemicals.
- 8 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.
- 20 Trees have been killed for this waste.
It is staggering to say the least, we had no idea what a huge impact recycling had on the environment until we started to do some research.
Writeboards® agree that recycling (in general) is good for the environment, however, we need to impress upon you that if this school had the Writeboards® System in place in just one year they would have saved ninety thousand litres of water, one point two tonnes of coal, eight tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions plus a range of chemicals and the life of twenty beautiful trees from just reusing those 200,000 pieces of paper by implementing the Writeboards® System.
The best part is that they would still be using the same 200,000 pieces of paper in over eight years time.
Now take a look at that same school with 500 students (that use two pieces of paper per day) and calculate it over the eight year period that Writeboards® have been in Sydney Schools:
Environmental Cost Over an Eight Year Period:
- 720,000 litres of water.
- 9.6 tonnes of coal.
- Heaps of chemicals
- 64 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.
- 160 Trees have been killed for this waste.
This is just one school with 500 students using just two pages per day and look at how much it has cost our environment. This is just a shocking waste of resources and to think over 90% of schools are doing this year after year after year.
There are more than 6000 schools in Australia. So, just for the purpose of this exercise, lets say there are 6000 schools and they all only have 500 students that use two pieces of paper per day.
That gives us a total of 3,000,000 students multiplied by two pieces of paper per day, which comes to 6,000,000 pieces of paper per day. What is the effect on Australia's resources and environment?
One year period:
- Over 540,000,000 litres of water.
- 7,200 tonnes of coal.
- Heaps of chemicals.
- 48,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.
- 120,000 Trees have been killed for this waste.
Eight year period:
- 4,320,000,000 litres of water.
- 57,600 tonnes of coal
- Heap of chemicals
- 384,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions.
- 960,000 Trees have given their life for this waste.
The amount of wastage here is both woeful and shameful and we all know this is only a fraction of what the real figures would look like.
There are many more than 3,000,000 students here in Australia and that is without adding in child care and other educational institutions.
So to sum up this horrible story...Between the whiteboards and related products that the school is throwing into our landfill every year, the chemicals that they release on a daily basis into our air, the amount of trees they kill each year, plus the amount of resources they are wasting in just recycling paper, we cannot think of more appropriate way to say this...Schools are helping to destroy our environment on a daily basis!
How Much Is It Really Costing Your School?
You have seen above the devastating effects on the environment, so let us now look at what it is costing the school to help destroy our environment.
We will go off the same assumption that the school has five hundred students and that each student uses two pieces of paper per day totaling 200,000 pieces of paper per annum. For the purpose of this exercise a ream of paper has been priced at $4.00.
Cost for one year
- 200,000/500 pages in a ream = 400
- 400 Reams x $4.00 = $1600.00
Cost for eight years.
- 8 years x 400 reams = 3200 reams
- 8 years x $1600.00 = $12,800.00
Google tell us that printing a page costs anywhere from 2.47 cents up to 15 cents (to print a coloured page). For the purpose of this exercise we shall call it 2.47 cents. Our school example uses 400 Reams of paper a year.
Cost for one year of printing
- 400 reams x 500 sheets = 200,000
- 200,000 x 2.47 cents = 494,000 cents
- Which converts to $4,940.00
Cost for eight years of printing
- 8 years x 400 reams = 2400,000 Reams
- 8 years x $4,940.00 = $39, 520.00
Those 2.47 cents pages add up, just as well we did it on the lowest possible rate.
Now these 500 students are all going to need a whiteboard, we will look at two different prices.
First option: The whiteboard costs $2.93. It stains and shadows and it can be easily scratched or broken. After eight years of speaking to teachers they tell us on average they need to be replaced twice a year, however, the school does not see it as a big expense as they actually saves paper.
Cost for one year with 500 students.
- $2.93 x 2 = $5.86
- 500 x $5.86 = $2,930.00
Cost for eight years with 500 students.
- 8 years x $2,930.00 = $23,440.00
Second Option: These whiteboards are more sturdily made but they can still be broken. If you happen to write on them with the wrong marker, they will still stain and shadow but more of the stain will come off with whiteboard cleaner than it does on the cheaper ones. If you write on them with permanent marker it will not be removed, the stain will be there forever. These whiteboards cost $9.99 each and last for up to 2 years (the maximum that we have been told) if they are looked after.
Let look at the cost for the above school
Year one (initial purchase)
This purchase will happen four times in eight years.
Cost of eight years:
- 4 x $4,995.00 = $19,980.00
Teachers have told Writeboards that one classroom would definitely go through two bottles of whiteboard cleaner in a year. For the purpose of this exercise the we will say that a bottle of whiteboard clear costs $11.99 and there is an average of thirty children per classroom, giving us a total of seventeen classrooms in the school with 500 students.
Cost for one year with 17 classrooms.
- $11.99 x 2 bottle per classroom = $23.98
- $23.98 x 17 classrooms = $407.66
Cost for eight years with 17 classrooms.
- 8 years x $407.66 = $3,261.28
Over the eight years we have been in business we have watched many teachers not care that they are throwing laminates into landfill, their reasoning was that it saved paper because you could reuse it again. Some teachers will utilise them more than others and of course they are always big in your school's support unit.
For the purpose of this exercise we will allocate 3 pieces of laminate per student x 500 students which give us a total of 1500 pieces per year. The cost for laminate sleeves is $14.00 for 100.
Cost over one year
Cost over eight years
- 8 years x $210.00 = $1680.00
Writeboards actually use laminates as part of their system, however, the original laminates are still being used eight years later and we envisage that they will still be able to be used in twenty years time as long as they are looked after.
- Electricity used to print 3200 reams of paper (1,600,000 pages).
- Inks and toner to print 1,600,000 pages.
- Wear and tear on the printer to print 1,600,000 pages.
- Teachers time to print 1,600,000 pages.
- Wastage costs on recycling 1,600,000 pages.
- Getting the printer serviced and repaired.
- Having to buy a new printer after printing so many pages.
- Office Managers time arranging all of this.
- Receptionist time having to sign for and receive 1, 600,000 pages for delivery.
- Delivery Costs for the delivery of 1,600,00 pages.
Unfortunately we cannot put a figure on these extra expenses, however, we are sure your finance officer or accountant would have some idea how much extra this would cost your school.
The TOTAL COST to one school with only 500 students over a period of just eight years:
- $12,800 for wasted paper.
- $39,520 for wasted printing.
- $20,000 wasted buying whiteboards.
- $3,000 wasted buying whiteboard cleaner.
- $1,600 wasted buying laminating sheets.
- Other expenses?
This is $76,920.00 worth of waste without even adding in the cost of "Other Expenses" over a period of ONLY EIGHT YEARS by one school that only has Five Hundred Students that only use two pieces of paper per day.
If this school had just implemented the "Writeboards System" with their five hundred students, they would have saved well in excess of $77,000 in a period of only eight years. The "Writeboards System" would have also stopped the Huge Environmental Footprint (as evidence above) in its tracks.
Lets finish with both the final costing of wasted money and environmental damage that 6000 schools with 500 students (that only uses two pieces of paper per day and their printing only cost 2.47 cents per page) is doing.
The TOTAL COST for 6000 schools with 500 students over eight years.
- $76,800,000 for wasted paper.
- $237,120,000 for wasted printing.
- $120,000,000 wasted buying whiteboards.
- $18,000,000 wasted buying whiteboard cleaner.
- $9,600,000 wasted buying laminating sheets.
- Other expenses?
This is $461,520,000.00 worth of waste (without even adding in the cost of "Other Expenses") over a period of ONLY EIGHT YEARS by 6000 Schools that only have Five Hundred Students that uses two pieces of paper per day. Each year this grand total of wasted money will increase by over $62,500,000.
How many other ways could this wasted money be used?
Now let's look again at the environmental footprint of this wasted money.
- 4,320,000,000 litres of water wasted.
- 57,600 tonnes of coal wasted.
- Heaps and heaps and heaps of chemicals that do not need to be used.
- 384,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions wasted.
- Over 12 million whiteboards thrown into landfill.
- Over 1.5 million whiteboard cleaner bottles that have had to be recycled or they have ended up in landfill.
- Over 96,000 pieces of laminate thrown into landfill.
- Electricity to print 76,800,000,000 pages wasted.
- 960,000 Trees have been killed for this waste.
Remember this whole example has only been based on only three million students that only use two pieces of paper per day. Just imagine what the real figures would look like, these figures are just a drop in the ocean. There are many more than 3 million students in Australia and we haven't even talked about Child Care and other educational institutions.
We have had water shortages in Australia and the above example shows over four billion litres being wasted by recycling paper that does not need to be recycled. We are killing trees for nothing. Global warming (whether you believe it or not) and we are wasting 384,000 tonnes...and we could just keep going on and on and on because we are now very passionate about doing something to save our environment.
WILL YOUR SCHOOL DO SOMETHING TO STOP THE WASTE OF MONEY AND THE DESTRUCTION OF OUR ENVIRONMENT?
- The Writeboard is a clear reusable writing board that is Australian Made and Owned.
- The Writeboards 99% Recyclable. It does not stain or shadow and can even be used with a permanent marker.
- The Writeboard has been in Sydney schools for over eight years now and the original Writeboards are still being used today.
- After eight years in business we can proudly say that not one Writeboard has been returned to be recycled and up until this present moment the Writeboard has never been broken by a student.
- We are still waiting for our original Writeboards® to wear out”